Fifteen of the fifty-one faculty members are alumni of St. Benedict’s, and seven are monks of Newark Abbey. Fifty-one faculty members hold bachelor’s degrees, twenty-four hold master’s, and six have earned their doctorates.
Choir, band, drama, newspaper, yearbook, photography, literary magazine, amateur radio, hiking & camping, campus ministry, Model U.N., student maintenance company.
Interscholastic Sports (12)
Track (Indoor & Outdoor), cross-country, soccer, wrestling, basketball, baseball, fencing, water polo, swimming, golf and crew.
First Term: 5 weeks in August.
7-8 Grades and FY take four academic courses that continue in the fall. UD/SY take intensive advanced or remedial courses.
Fall/Winter Terms: two 14-week semesters.
College prep courses with many activities and sports.
Spring Phase: 5 weeks in May.
Out-of-classroom and community service projects and exchange programs through The Network of Complementary Schools.
College Acceptance Data
Of the Class of 2014, 95% have gone directly to college. Colleges where recent graduates have enrolled include Amherst, Bates, Boston College, Bowdoin, Columbia, Cornell, Davidson, Drexel, Drew, Fairfield, Fordham, Franklin & Marshall, Georgetown, George Washington, Harvard, Holy Cross, Howard, Johns Hopkins, Lehigh, Loyola, Montclair State, Morehouse, NJIT, Notre Dame, NYU, Penn, Pomona, RPI, Rutgers, St. John’s (MN), St. Vincent, Seton Hall, Stanford, Stevens, Swarthmore, USNA, USMA, Virginia, Wesleyan.
Tuition and Financial Aid
Grades 7-12: $12,500 + fees. 412 students (about 80% of all students) have been awarded tuition aid for a total of $2.26 million; the average grant is $5,460.
Buildings and Grounds
15 buildings on 12 acres in Newark’s University Heights.
- Newark Abbey, St. Mary’s Church, Abbey Hospitality Center.
- Old Building (headmaster, admissions and financial aid, laboratories, computing center, bookstore, classrooms).
- Cawley Hall (conlin auditorium, cafeteria, infirmary, classrooms).
- Radel Library (reading and reference room, stacks)
- St. Mary’s Hall (art studios, classrooms).
- Turrell House (residence for faculty, students and guests).
- Radel Office Building (starfire counseling center).
- Henry & Agnes Brennan (HAB) Center (pool, gym, classrooms).
- Shanley Gym (gym, athletic locker rooms and house lockers).
- Recreation Complex (2 fields, track, plaza).
- Bishop Joseph Francis Hall (advancement and alumni, business office, college counseling).
- Fr. Theodore Howarth, O.S.B. Field House (fencing room, locker rooms, maintenance department).
- Leahy House (dormitory for 60 students with 4 faculty apartments).