Operated by the Benedictine monks of Newark Abbey, St. Benedict’s has served as an anchor of community strength and pride since 1868.
Since our founding over a hundred years ago, St. Benedict’s has been committed to delivering an excellent education to boys in Newark. Benedictine monks came to Newark in 1857 to serve the German community of Saint Mary’s parish. Seeing the need for a school to serve the growing working-class Catholic population in Newark, the monks opened Saint Benedict’s College in 1868. The original school offered both a college-level and a preparatory curriculum, but by 1917, the majority of students were coming for the college prep curriculum, and so the college curriculum was dropped, and the school officially became Saint Benedict’s Preparatory School.
Over the years, the school educated many of New Jersey’s professional and religious leaders and became a powerhouse in high school sports. As each new immigrant group entered the city, they found a welcome at St. Benedict’s.
Throughout the 20th century, as the neighborhood around us changed, the needs of our students changed, and St. Benedict’s evolved to meet those needs. Today, we are the only all-boys school in Newark. St. Benedict’s is devoted to preparing boys in and around Newark to fulfill their potential as emotionally mature, morally responsible and well-educated young men.