Bring Your Own Device
SBP has been incorporating technology in the classroom in order to prepare our students for their next level of education. All assignments will be digitally based while we shift between remote and onsite classes. The ownership of a portable device with a camera and microphone will be mandatory for the 2020-2021 academic year for grades 3-12 and postgraduates. Students will be required to have their own personally owned device with a camera and microphone in order to attend class and complete assignments. Students K-2 should have a device at home that is able to connect to periodic online classes, but it does not need to be a device dedicated to that student. K-2 students will not be required to bring the devices to school. Cell phones with a camera and microphone can fill a gap temporarily if a student's device breaks and is in the process of being replaced, but are not long term solutions for attending class.
If you will be purchasing a new Chromebook, we recommend the models in the $249 - $300 price range. Models far above that price point have been overpowered. Devices under that price point have not performed well. When choosing a model to purchase, pay close attention to screen size and touch capability to make sure you are getting a device that meets your expectations.
Things to keep in mind:
- Devices older than 5 years or newer devices with base model hardware may not perform well in the classroom video conferences. This will affect the student's ability to participate in class.
- If you will be purchasing a Windows based laptop, we recommend a Core i5 CPU or better and 8 GB of RAM or more.
- Battery life of the device: Students should be able to get through all of the day on a single full charge.
- Size: If the device is too big, it is less portable. If the device is too small, it is less efficient for the student to work on.
- Keyboard: Physical keyboards help many type more efficiently. There are wireless keyboards that can connect to tablets.
- Protection: A solid case can protect a device from bumps while in transit and from daily use.
- Start slow: Do not purchase every accessory and peripheral available for a device. Get only what is needed and expand as necessary.
- SBP will not maintain or fix issues on personal devices. SBP has secured a group rate for insurance for personally owned Chromebooks. This is optional. Claims will be handled by the parent and the insurance company. Click here for the application.