SBP is incorporating technology in the classroom in order to prepare your sons for their next level of education. Many assignments will be digitally based and will require the use of a computer and Internet access. The ownership of a portable device will be mandatory for the 2018-2019 academic year for the Middle and Prep Divisions. Students will be required to bring one to school every day.
We discourage parents from going out and purchasing the newest, top of the line model laptop, device, or gadget for their sons, especially if this will be his first time being responsible for the care of a device on a daily basis. Google Chromebooks have met the needs and surpassed many expectations of our users. They are reasonably priced, have great battery life, portable, and perform well.
We have firsthand experience with the Samsung, Acer, HP, and Toshiba Chromebooks. We recommend the Acer and Toshiba devices if you do not currently have access to a laptop or tablet.
If a student will be bringing in a recommended device, keep in mind that the device is the responsibility of the student. SBP will not maintain or fix issues on personal devices. As a convenience to parents and students, SBP has obtained an insurance group rate that parents can purchase. This is optional and parents completely manage the policy from initial sign up to reporting and handling claims. The insurance company covers damage, theft, cracked screens and other typical issues. If you would like to sign up, click on the link below.
If you already have a portable device at home, students can bring them in and use them at SBP. Current students are able to access assignments on iPhones, Droid smartphones, iPads, iPods, Droid tablets, and Windows and Mac laptops. The device just needs Internet access through its own cellular connection or through the SBP's WiFi. Google documents are a backbone of many assignments. Please verify your current device can view and edit Google documents. For example, as of September 2017, Amazon Fire devices cannot edit Google documents. This particular device would not be recommended for our assignments.
Things to keep in mind:
- If you will be purchasing a Windows based laptop, we recommend a Core i5 CPU or better and 8 GB of RAM or more.
- Battery life of the device: Students should be able to get through all of the day on a single full charge.
- Size: If the device is too big, it is less portable. If the device is too small, it is less efficient for the student to work on.
- Keyboard: Physical keyboards help many type more efficiently. There are wireless keyboards that can connect to tablets.
- Protection: A solid case can protect a device from bumps while in transit and from daily use.
- Start slow: Do not purchase every accessory and peripheral available for a device. Get only what is needed and expand as necessary.
- SBP will not maintain or fix issues on personal devices.